5 FOODS YOU SHOULD NEVER FEED YOUR PET
Often times pet owners think that if they enjoy a food, they’re pet can enjoy it to, not realizing that it can cause them a lot of harm.
Some of our favorite foods and beverages can be very dangerous for our furry companions and it’s important to know what to avoid when feeding your pet. Here at Camino Al Norte Animal Hospital we’ve compiled a list of people foods that can be very toxic to your animals:
1.) GRAPES & RAISINS: Although they’re a great low-calorie snack for humans, grapes and raisins contain a toxic substance can cause acute (sudden) kidney failure. If you’re pet already has certain health problems, the effects can be even worse. The signs of grape toxicity include lethargy, diarrhea and vomiting.
2.) AVOCADO: Because we live in the southwest, avocado is a delicious staple in many of our dishes, but did you know that it is toxic to our pets? The leaves, seeds, fruit and bark of avocados contain Persin, which can cause diarrhea and vomiting in dogs and cats. Additionally, birds and rodents are highly sensitive to avocados and can develop fluid accumulation around the heart, accompanied with difficulty breathing. No matter how much they beg, NEVER let your pet lick the guacamole bowl.
3.) XYLITOL: Some of you may not be familiar with this sweetener, but you can find it in everyday food products such as gum, baked goods, toothpaste, and sugar-free sweets. When ingested by your pet, xylitol causes a sudden release of insulin which leads to low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). Warning signs include trouble with coordination, lethargy and vomiting. If left untreated, the results can be fatal.
4.) ONIONS, GARLIC, CHIVES: For humans, these foods can add delicious flavor to any meal, but for our pets, especially cats, they can cause damage to red blood cells through gastrointestinal irritation. When purchasing food for your animal companions, you may find occasional low doses of these veggies and herbs, which will likely not cause a problem. However, we recommend that do never give your pets large quantities.
5.) CHOCOLATE, COFFEE, CAFFEINE: All of these products contain substances called methylxanthines. When ingested by pets, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, panting, urination, abnormal heart rhythm, seizures and even death. You pet will probably be okay if he/she accidentally eats a chocolate chip cookie, but chowing down on dark chocolate or baker’s chocolate can be very harmful.
So the next time you go to feed Fido or Fluffy your leftovers make sure to think twice about what you are putting into their system. If you think your pet has ingested a dangerous food, please call your vet or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.